Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Tried It Tuesday - Saving YouTube videos

I'm linking up with Fourth Grade Flipper today for Tried It Tuesday with a tip for YouTube in the classroom!


I am so excited to share the YouTube solution I discovered in the Interactive Reading Notebooks from I'm Lovin' Lit's TPT Store! At my school, students can't access YouTube, but teachers can, so I've been able to show videos. The problem is always the ads that show up on the sides and sometimes pop right up on the videos! Sometimes they are SO inappropriate!

SaveTube.com is a site that allows you to save videos from YouTube directly to your computer, so you can play them when you don't have YouTube access! It's a little complicated, but I figured it out pretty easily.

FIRST, you have to make sure you have the latest version of Java installed, or it won't work. Download it here if you need it.

Next, copy the web address for the YouTube video you want.

Then, go to SaveTube.com. There are a lot of annoying ads, but just ignore them. All you need to do is paste your YouTube link into the box and click VID for a video file. (If you only want to save the sound, you can click MP3 to do that.)

On the next screen, choose which type of file you want. I chose MP4, and it worked fine. Then click save, choose where you want to save the file, and you're done!

In order to get them to school, I'm going to attach them to my lesson plans on planbook.com.

No more going home and praying that I won't get fired over the ad my kids saw after our Water Cycle video on YouTube!

4 comments:

  1. This is just what I needed! Thank you so much for sharing and linking up!!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this. I have also used Free Make Download too to save videos for later, which was suggested by my district.
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a neat little tool to know about. Thanks for sharing! I usually just downloaded the video for playback whenever. I like this better, I think!

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE to read your comments, and prefer to reply by email so that you will receive our responses. Make sure you're not a "No Reply Blogger" or leave your email address in your comment.Thanks for stopping by! :)