Monday, June 30, 2014

Monday Made It: DIY Necklace Storage

It's Monday, so I'm linking up with 4th Grade Frolics to share a couple of Made It's.

I don't know about you, but my necklace collection has recently outgrown my jewelry box. They were taking over the entire dresser actually! (This is probably because of my Stitch Fix and Jane.com obsessions!) I searched Pinterest and found this adorable idea: Turn an old frame into a gorgeous necklace display. Instead of using one of the half-dozen frames we had lying around, though, I saw this one at Hobby Lobby, and had to have it! It matches our bedroom perfectly!

I can't wait to get it on the wall, but I'm going to have to, because this frame is HEAVY and I don't have any drywall anchors at the moment :(

If you want the how-to, keep reading. If not, scroll down, because there's one more made-it down there!

You're going to need...
* a frame (this one is 16x20)
* some cork (I used the 12x12 tiles, but you could also use the roll that they sell at Hob-Lob)
* hot glue
* burlap
* duct tape (of course!)
* nailheads or pushpins to hold your necklaces (I found aluminum push pins at Office Depot)

Here's what to do...
Take the backing out of the frame. Hot glue your cork onto it. Make sure you trim the edges close, because you'll need this to fit back into the frame!

Lay your frame back on top of your burlap, with the cork side down. Trim your burlap to 3-4 inches wider than your frame back. 

Cut diagonally across the corners of the burlap.

Duct tape one side of the burlap to your frame. Then pull very tightly and tape the opposite side.

Keep working around the frame until you have it all taped down. Don't worry if your duct tape doesn't match like mine happened to...no one is going to see this!

Put you burlap & cork covered backing back into the frame, without the glass.

Now, just use your necklaces as a guide to push in your nailheads or push pins. Hang it, and admire!

Made it #2 is kind of a cheat because I designed it, but technically Zazzle made it. If you haven't ever looked at their stuff you should...or maybe not...because I spent *too*  much money when I did :) You can upload your own images or search for ones that someone else has created and order them on tons of cool products. 

I decided I needed a custom printed vinyl binder to use for this year's Teacher Binder. It arrived last week, and I couldn't be happier! These are quality binders, y'all. with  my design and my name right on them! No more printing & trimming & never having the inserts fit quite right!

You might recognize that as the same pattern in my Perfect Teacher Planner from TPT. That's because I custom made it to match! I spent Friday getting pages printed and ready to go for the fall!

While I was at it, I also made one to match the Turquoise Dots planner, and Juliet has one on the way to her as we speak. I can't wait to see hers too!

Because I think these are awesome, and I want to give you a chance to try them...if you order a binder between now and midnight Thursday (7/3/14), I will give you the matching planner inserts for free! Just email me after you place your Zazzle order and let me know! (Link at the top of the page)

Happy Monday everyone! 


4 comments:

  1. I love the jewelry holder! Thanks for helping me figure out my next Monday Made It project :)

    Bethany
    FabandFunin4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of a jewelry holder! I love the frame you used and your jewels look amazing on it!
    Kelli
    Tales of a Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a similar jewelry holder but I love the burlap effect on yours!

    Anisa @ Creative Undertakings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh.....I need to do the necklace holder. Aren't you just so brilliant to put the corkboard under the burlap? SMARTY!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE to read your comments, and prefer to reply by email so that you will receive our responses. Make sure you're not a "No Reply Blogger" or leave your email address in your comment.Thanks for stopping by! :)