Friday, March 13, 2015

Five for Friday!




I am linking up with Doodle Bug's Five for Friday Linky! So much fun!! Check out what we have been up to in the classroom over the last week!


My brother-in-law had surgery on his cleft lip at the end of last week. My husband and I traveled with him and my in-laws to Minneapolis for his surgery. It was a long few days, but he is healing very well now. He is always so much fun to be around and I love him so so so much.


This week we were focusing on sequencing events of a story. An impromptu lesson ended up being my absolute favorite thing we did all week. We used fairytales and sentence strips to practice our sequencing skills. My students had such a fun time and I saw tons of engagement and learning happening! You can read more about the activity here.


Okay... this photo looks disgusting. I totally get that. But, it is actually a really cool science experiment in the works. Basically we made a mush out of cereal that was fortified with iron. Then we put a strong magnet in a small bag and the mush in a larger bag and mixed away. After about 10 minutes of mixing small specks of iron started to appear on the outside of the magnet bag! How cool (and messy all at the same time).

We also investigated iron filings. If magnets is one of your standards, this is a must do activity. Take a piece of white computer paper and dump some iron filings on the top. Then lift up the paper and hold a magnet underneath. Students can move the filings around on the paper. When they put the magnet flat against the paper and gently gave the paper and filings a little shake, the magnetic field would appear with the north and south poles.


The last thing we did was investigate water and magnetism. During one of my science lessons, my students were convinced that water has a major affect on magnetism. This nifty little lab allowed for discovery. I had 4 different tubs set up with water and students got to bring in items from home to test out! They had a blast and it brought up some great conversations.

Make sure you head over to Doodle Bugs Teaching to see other Five for Friday Posts!!

If you haven't seen it yet, I posted a quick multiplication practice FREEBIE in my TPT store. Click the photo below to check it out.

2 comments:

  1. Glad that your brother-in-law is healing nicely and that you and your hubby were able to travel with him!

    Looks like y'all have had lots of fun in your class this week! The magnet filling activity reminds me the old Wooly Willy that I had as a kid! =)

    Wendy

    One Happy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun week in science for your class! There is so much joy in your picture with your BIL! Glad to hear he is on the mend.

    Meredith @ momgineer

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE to read your comments, and prefer to reply by email so that you will receive our responses. Make sure you're not a "No Reply Blogger" or leave your email address in your comment.Thanks for stopping by! :)