Thursday, July 9, 2015

Using Arcademics to Build Skills



Technology Thursday is a USUALLY a weekly linky dedicated to all things technology related. Check out our Tech Thursday page for details on how to link up!

During the summer Tech Thursday will be a MONTHLY link up! The link will begin on the 2nd Thursday of the month and stay open until the next month!

This month I am going to share all about a great website (that is also available as an app) that I discovered towards the end of the year.
Arcademics is a great website that has skillfully combined academics with fun arcade like games. Students do not need an account to play any of their 60+ FREE games that practice a variety of skills (both language arts and math). Check out what games are available... don't they all look like fun!
Did you look closely at that top picture? You can select games based on a skill or based on a grade level! There are times when I will tell my students to pick a multiplication practice game. They select "multiplication" and up pops 7 games for them to choose from. All of which practice multiplication. Sometimes I just want them to focus on language arts games but only focus on fourth grade standards. They would then select "Language Arts" and "Grade 4" and the website narrows it down for them! Pretty fabulous!

Here are some shots of some of the games in progress. All of the games are played with multiple players so students can play against friends, or they can just play against a computer player.
Those last couple games are spelling games which my students just LOVE. The computer tells you a word to spell. You type them out (they don't even realize that they are practicing their typing skills at the same time) and if you get a letter wrong it gives you another chance before quick flashing the letter. This allows some of my lower learners to still feel successful!

Another bonus to Arcademics, it is available as an app too! When we roll out 1:1 devices next year, this is definitely an app that I will be requesting!
I thought I would throw it out there that there is also a paid version of the website (I think the pricing is $100 a year for a classroom or just $20 for homeschool or small group). The paid version (Arcademics Plus) allows you to data track your students and customize game content. You better believe I will be asking our tech director if this is something I could pilot in my classroom! The data looks pretty fabulous and it is something my students could work on at home if they have internet access or access to smart devices.

Check out Arcademics, you seriously won't be sorry that you did!

** Remember, Tech Thursday is monthly for the summer. The linky will stay open all month long so feel free to link up whenever you get a chance! Can't wait to see your tech tips, tricks and fun new websites and apps!**

 photo Signature-CASSIE_zpsaxxtaak1.png



8 comments:

  1. Cassie,

    This website and app looks cool! That you for sharing it. I will definitely check it out.

    Shane
    Math is FunDamental

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids will love this app, Cass! I'm looking for it right now to load on the ipad for them. Thank you so much for sharing. I love learning about new apps! xo
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just added this to my website links for students. We are always looking for new games!

    Technology Erintegration

    ReplyDelete
  4. That app looks great! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a website that I will definitely be sharing with my students! They are going to love it!
    Thanks for hosting a great linky! I just linked up!
    Najda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some of my kids figured out how to compete against each other directly. They really got into it then. I didn't know about the app. Is it free?
    Deb
    Not very fancy in 1st

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the reminder about Arcademics! I have used it before, but have forgotten about it in the midst of all of our available resources. The more game-like something is, the more my students will like it. I will definitely be adding it to my Draggo page of sites for my students.

    Julie
    TheHipTeacher

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE to read your comments, and prefer to reply by email so that you will receive our responses. Make sure you're not a "No Reply Blogger" or leave your email address in your comment.Thanks for stopping by! :)